In this new case study Auto-Plas, a UK company with an international reputation in the field of design and manufacture of automotive styling accessories, tells us how strategic management of their intellectual property has contributed to their business growth.
“Nemo dat quod non habet” – “no one gives what he doesn't have”.
APEx was a CIP-ICT-PSP project under which national archival institutions from 33 European countries and the International Centre for Archival Research have released a new version of the Internet portal for documents and archives in Europe.The APEx consortium partners decided to transfer the results developed to a new entity – the Archives Portal Europe Foundation (APEF). A number of questions needed clarification and a common understanding among partners before the transfer occurs – the identification of the results and their respective owners.
This case study is an example of exploitation of project outcomes through the creation of a new legal entity.
You want to commercialise your products with the support of external business partners? The story of this Italian SME, Celegon Srl, teaches us how crucial it is to take confidentiality measures and IP protection into consideration before entering into any business partnership.
Our latest Case Study from the Croatian SME, Phoenix Ltd., has appeared in this edition of Business Planet!
It shows how vital it is for companies to integrate their IP in their overall business strategy and how valuable the support provided by the European IPR Helpdesk through our team of local ambassadors can be.
Watch the interview here on euronews.
The following are a selection of our top 15 downloaded Fact Sheets that are now available in five EU languages:
German (DE), Spanish (ES), French (FR), Italian (IT) and Polish (PL).
- Fact Sheet on "Plant variety protection", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Collection of evidence", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "How to define and manage background in Horizon 2020", available here
- Fact Sheet on "IP enforcement: asserting your rights", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Design searching", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "The plan for the exploitation and dissemination of results in Horizon 2020", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "IP management in MSC Actions", available here in DE, ES, FR and PL for H2020 projects, and here in IT and PL for FP7 projects.
- Fact Sheet on "Domain names and cybersquatting", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Copyright essentials", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Trade secrets: An efficient tool for competitiveness", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Intellectual property management at trade fairs", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "IP Audit: Uncovering the potential of your business", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Non-disclosure agreement: a business tool", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Intellectual property relevance in internationalisation", available here.
- Fact Sheet on "Technology Licensing-in", available here.
The government of the UK has recently published a series of technical notices about IP rights in case no deal is agreed in the Brexit negotiations.
These technical notes are aimed at helping businesses and citizens understand what they need to do and allowing them to make informed plans and preparations.
The most recent technical notices on IP were published on 24 September 2018 under these four titles:
- trade marks and designs if there is no Brexit deal
- patents if there is no Brexit deal
- copyright if there is no Brexit deal
- exhaustion of intellectual property rights if there is no Brexit deal
Please click here for further reading.
On August 31, 2018 WIPO launched the all-new Hague Member Profiles Database for the Hague system. This e-service offers a portal to the practices and procedures of Hague System members around the world.
Choose from a wide range of data including:
- Members that do not allow deferment of publication or those that allow it for a limited period
- All the declarations made by each member
- Information on each member’s examination procedures
- Information on opposition procedures or responding to refusals
- Contact information for each Office
Find further information and access the database, here.
On 17 August EUIPO released a report examining the current level of trade secrets litigation, as well as the profiles of the parties involved and the courts dealing with trade secrets matters.
The study itself covers all 28 EU Member States and contains a mapping of the current national legal systems for the protection of trade secrets, competent courts and procedures in place, including remedies against the unlawful acquisition, use or disclosure of trade secrets.
Find further information and the link to the full text of the study, here.
Sometimes, bitter experience may result in positive consequences and brings success.
Check our latest case study to learn how facing increasing number of infringements paved the way for a company to restructure its business plans by considering IP, and why developing a sound IP management strategy is of utmost importance especially when doing business based on innovative products.