Copyright protects works such as:
- literary works- novels, song lyrics, newspaper articles;
- computer programs, some types of databases;
- dramatic works- dance or mime;
- musical works;
- artistic works- paintings, photographs, sculptures, architectural designs, technical drawings, diagrams, maps, logos;
- layouts or typographical arrangements;
- recordings of a work - recorded music performances;
- broadcasts of a work.
According to a well-established principle, copyright protection extends only to physical expressions, not to ideas, procedures, methods of operation or mathematical concepts as such.