Level of Expertise: Entry
This seminar is designed for business executives, technology transfer professionals, patent and trademark attorneys, lawyers and others wishing to familiarise themselves with Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and its application in the area of IP, research and development and related commercial transactions.
The webinar will provide information on the following topics:
- How can I prevent and resolve disputes?
- What is mediation, arbitration and expert determination (Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR))?
- Why should I think about ADR?
- What is the role of the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center?
- How much does WIPO ADR cost, and how long does it take?
- How is mediation and arbitration used in R&D and commercial disputes? WIPO case examples and statistics
- How are mediators/arbitrators selected and appointed?
- What are the stages of mediation/arbitration?
- How do I negotiate and draft a dispute resolution clause? Recommended WIPO contract clauses and submission agreements, and R&D model agreements (e.g., DESCA, IPAG)
After the training, participants should be able to answer the following main questions:
- What is mediation? What is arbitration, what is expedited arbitration? How does it compare with court litigation?
- What are the advantages of mediation, arbitration, in particular when used in R&D collaborations and other cross-border transactions?
- At which stages of a project do I need to think about dispute resolution?
- What do I need to consider when negotiating and drafting contract dispute resolution clauses?
- What are the key elements of a dispute resolution clause in a contract: mediation clause/arbitration clause/combined mediation-arbitration clause?
- Which assistance does the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center provide when a dispute arises?
- How can I use ADR in infringement cases and other non-contractual disputes?
Duration: 60 minutes (presentation) + 15 minutes (Q&As)
Fee: The webinar is offered free of charge.
Registration: Please register here.
For further information on how to join our webinar sessions, please have a look at our quick guide available for download below. For our web-based training sessions we use WebEX Conferencing Technology. We would like you to take note, that you will be asked by WebEx to install a browser application (i. e. the WebEx event center) on your computer when you use WebEx for the first time. This will only take a few minutes, but just for you to have this step in mind, and to possibly inform your system administrator.
IP and Coffee!
If you are in or around Brussels feel free to join us at our Brussels office watching the webinar together! We call it "IP and Coffee"! Meet our experts directly! For more information click here......